Coronavirus Information

We understand the campus directives about remote learning raises some questions. Student Affairs has created and will be updating a page with frequently asked questions for students.

AB 540

On October 12, 2001, Governor Gray Davis signed into law Assembly Bill 540 (Stats. 2001, ch. 814) adding a new section, 68130.5, to the California Education Code. Section 68130.5 created a new exemption from the payment of non-resident tuition for certain non-resident students who have attended high school in California and received a high school diploma or its equivalent.

If you're granted an AB 540 exemption, you will be charged in-state tuition and fees, and not the supplemental tuition charged to nonresidents.

Who is eligible?

  • Students who, for various reasons, are classified as nonresidents, as well as undocumented students, may be eligible.
  • You must meet all of the following requirements to be eligible:
  • Attend a California high school for three or more years (9th grade counts).
  • Graduate (or will graduate) from a high school in California or the equivalent (a High School Equivalency Certificate issued by the California State GED Office or a Certificate of Proficiency resulting from the California High School Proficiency Examination are considered equivalent to high school graduation).
  • You must also have signed the California Nonresident Exemption Request, which states that you meet all the requirements to qualify for AB 540 status and, if you are undocumented, are in the process of adjusting your immigration status (or will do so as soon as you are eligible).

Who is not eligible?

  • Students in possession of nonimmigrant visas (including, but not limited to any of the following visas: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T*, TN/TD, TWOV, U*  and NATO) are not eligible for this exemption.
    • *Except for holders of T and U visas: UC policy permits T and U visa holders with approved I-485 applications who meet the requirements described above to be exempt from nonresident supplemental tuition until they are eligible to establish California residency according to UC policy.
  • DACA students who do not meet the AB 540 tuition requirements listed above will not be eligible for the exemption.

How to Apply

1. After you have accepted an offer of admission, submit your Statement of Legal Residence to the campus residence deputy.

2. If you then receive a nonresident classification, the campus residence deputy may provide additional forms for you to complete to determine your eligibility for the AB 540 nonresident tuition exemption. Be prepared to provide official high school transcripts and proof of high school graduation.

Once you're granted the exemption, you won't need to reapply as long as your visa status doesn't change, and you're continuously enrolled in the program to which you've been admitted.

AB 2000

On September 27th, 2014, a new section, 68130.5 was added to the California Education Code. Section 68130.5 under the AB 2000 is an extension of the AB 540. The AB 2000 created an exemption from the payment of out of state tuition for students who have attended and graduated a California High School with an equivalent of three years or more. 

If you're granted an AB 2000 exemption, you will be charged in-state tuition and fees, and not the supplemental tuition charged to nonresidents.

SB 68

On October 5th, 2017, a new section, 68130.5 was added to the to the California Education Code. Section 68130.5 under the SB 68 is an extension of the AB 540. The SB 68 created an exemption from nonresident tuition. The SB 68 expanded the requirements of the AB 540/ AB 2000 to include students who have attended and graduated from a community college with an associate's degree. 

The exemption lets students who have attended a minimum of three years in a California high school, elementary, secondary, adult school or a community college, or a combination of any to be granted in-state tuition. However, the bill requires that the students get an associate degree from a California Community College, graduated from a California high school or met minimum requirements to transfer to a California State University or University of California.

Additional questions? See more here!